Thursday, July 5, 2012

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Yesterday was Fourth of July and mine a little bit different.  I went to my grandpa's, a frat pool party, my bst friends house and a club. I spent most of the day with my two best friends. I met one at work and she introduced me to the other girl. They always call me their best friend and I've been thinking about what best friends really means.I think it has something to do with memories. In the past year I've spent every major holiday with them- Christmas, Halloween, new years, and now fourth of July. I also can rely on them to some degree Which is more than I can for most people.


The frat pool party was crazy. There were tons of people. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. Except for the girls unflattering swimsuits. That never ceases to shock me. I loved being my best friends house. It was bursting at the seems and I loved seeing her house full of people. Friends talking and kids running around jumping the pool and grandma holding a baby two mom exchanging recipes. These two kids came up to my best friend's mom to say goodbye and say thank you. And that made me feel kind of special. This wasn't  just someone's house I came over occasionally this was my best friends house. And I didn't just go up to Kathy and say thank you. It wasn't just a lady who hosted a party it was my best friends house. And I wasn't just hanging out with some girls - I was hanging out with my best friend. It's an awesome thing when people mean something to you. It doesn't happen very often so acknowledge and treasure it. 


So after a missing ID we finally made it to the club. I got mad at Court for making me leave early. I wanted to stay. I wanted to dance with Jesse. I was also exhausted, had only eaten one burger all day and dehydrated from dancing. She took to McDonald's and I got a 6 piece chicken nuggets and felt so much better. (6 piece nuggets are a huge rip off. You can get six for 3.50 or fourty nuggets for 5.00.) Because that's what families do. After you pitch a fit about leaving, they feed you so you start acting sane again. You laugh as they try to eat a dipped ice cream cone as it drips everywhere but then help them clean their steering wheel off.  As much as sometimes they drive me crazy. When we get mad at each other. We don't always agree with each other choices. But when the bad times come we are there for each other. When the important days happen I turn and they are at my side.  They are my family. 


The most important thing in life is your family. There are days you love them, and others you don't. But, in the end, they're the people you always come home to. Sometimes it's the family you're born into and sometimes it's the one you make for yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment